D

thoughts on grad school, texas, and more

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mouse!

I woke up in the dark at 7 am to a little, twittering noise in my room. Immediately, it sprang to mind that nothing would be in my room but a mouse--or a ghost. Either one is a scary prospect, and the first is worse because more probable. Sure enough, I turned on my lamp and saw a little, black mouse perched on top of a huge pile of books next to my bed and staring straight at me. He was in no hurry to go anywhere. I had a nearly empty glass on the nightstand. I dumped the last bit of water into the trashcan and saw that the mouse had jumped onto the armchair. I put the glass over its head and then trapped it with the novel (The Blithedale Romance) that I had fallen asleep reading for class. I ran downstairs as the mouse jumped up against the book and listened to hear if Rachel was awake yet so I could show off my prowess. I ran outside and released the mouse at the fence between our house and the neighbors', in an attempt to be fair. I hope he does not come back, although I am thankful for being so effectively awakened to begin studying again. It's not often that I'm up before eight. I saw that water was sprinkled all over the books where Mr. Mouse had perched, and wondered if he had urinated out of fright. However, I think that it was water from my glass, upon reflection. It's too bad no one was there to share my strange wake-up call.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Postmaster Steve said…

    D, that's a great story.
    We had a mouse before, too. I think they're adorable, though, so you had a different reaction than I would have had... I probably would have run to get a camera. :P
    Nice to hear you didn't smoosh him - most people I know would have.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    Denise, do you remember the blue bomber that both Melissa and I drove? One day on my way over to your apartment I stopped at the light before coming over to the South side and what crawled up the outside of my windshield but a friendly little mouse! I FREAKED OUT, as it sat there unmoving halfway up my windshield. The only thing I could thing of doing was to turn on the windshield wipers and hope for the best. Fortunately they didn't smoosh the little guy but I think that I screamed the rest of the way over to your and Melissa's apartment. I'm sure glad that I didn't have to face one so close to my skin, I don't think I would've been as brave as you.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    It WAS freaky...they're so squirmy. But on your car? How? Why? Ever since this event I have been hallucinating, thinking I see mice in every corner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home