D

thoughts on grad school, texas, and more

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Jobs!

"When it rains, it pours." I've heard this statement many times in the past couple of weeks. Two jobs came up recently--ones I would enjoy--and I interviewed for both. It was so fun, as both interviews were positive, relaxed, and as I said before, for jobs I would enjoy. It was a new sort of feeling.

The even better news is--I got both of them! Well, sort of. I'm going to be a graduate assistant for English profs at Grand Valley State, where I'm getting a masters. I won't be teaching; instead, I'll be helping to edit a newsletter on Flannery O'Connor and a journal on E. E. Cummings! I was also up for a full-time writer job at the Holland newspaper. However, in the end it worked out that I could write some freelance feature articles, allowing me to take both jobs. I will be busy when the school year starts, so we'll see what happens, especially with the Brewery job. I'm just really thankful for jobs where I can write and be creative, learn practical skills, and work with nice people.

Look for my articles (and columns) in the Life & Style section at hollandsentinel.com

7 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    congratulations d! i´m so excited for you. i´m abroad now, so i´m not able to stay online to write much, but i´m sending you a big hug and lots of love!

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger sheetal patel said…

    congratulations!

    can't wait to hear more about your new ventures when you start!

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger karen said…

    that's great D! i bet it'll feel good to be academic again - although i think you're a learner and never let it go to begin with. i hope you love your jobs :)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger kukailimoku said…

    Denise,

    I am so proud of you! Way to go!

    Send us the links when you articles come up.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Simone said…

    I'm so proud of you, D! THis is super cool! I am excited for you, knowing you are thrilled to do such a thing. I want to hear more about it.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    Hey Denise,
    I love your blog, and I'm a little sorry that I didn't find it sooner. I'm so happy to hear about your jobs. That's fantastic and they both sound right up your alley. Congrats congrats congrats! Much love from your Milwaukee friends.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    Thanks guys!!
    I love you bloggers--so nice:)

    Ang-where in the heck are you?

    Sheetal-how's school?

    Karen-thanks for the compliment; and you're right, I do like academia, strangely enough

    Ben-you're so encouraging

    Simone-is there anyone sweeter than you?

    Becky-thanks!! by the way good job on planning the most awesome vacation in a single day yesterday!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home