D

thoughts on grad school, texas, and more

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Birthday Presents

I got some "birthday presents" this week. I like all of my new professors! They are good teachers, intelligent, interesting, and successful--but also funny and nice. It's going to be a lot of work, but I think I will learn a lot this semester and be able to formulate my own approach to literature by observing these role models. I was in need of a "hero" after last semester--someone to look up to and to want to be like, and someone who might help me develop as a scholar. I seem to have met three such people in my first week.

My old employer France got in touch with me and said she and her family might be able to stop by Waco tomorrow, which happens to be my birthday. She gave me the job tutoring her kids years ago at a time when I needed both a job and a restoration of confidence in myself as a teacher. It will be great to see the kids. France is also extremely encouraging and affirming. I have been reminded this week how many good friends I have and how many people believe in me--it's overwhelming in a good way.

Two of my old college friends who live in Austin remembered my birthday, so I am going to see them tomorrow morning. I might get in a stop at my favorite store, Ikea, too. I have had so much fun shopping for deals lately, on my break. It is like a game and a hobby, and it is creatively empowering. I'm loving my apartment lately, and I feel like I'm making small decisions all the time that are helping me define myself as a person and feel more in control of it in every way. I went grocery shopping, did some cooking, and had a little party for the first time in this apartment. I got five loads of laundry finished last night. I decided I want to be finished with pseudo-dating, at least when I can see its detrimental effects. I feel like I'm making good decisions. That is a good feeling.

I got some thoughtful gifs from Tony and Rachel in the mail today. On Monday I'm going to have lunch and see a movie with friends in Waco. Last night I had Japanese food with a great friend here. Sometimes I really feel overwhelmed with how blessed I am.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Postmaster Steve said…

    Denise, thanks for this post. It's really great to hear that you're doing well. Things sound like they are on the up-and-up for you! I still miss you, but I'm really proud of you and all you're achieving in grad school. Keep that focus - you're doing great. Take care!

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Friar Nicolas Maria said…

    Denise, thanks for the post. It's good to see you posting more regularly again. Keep it up--enquiring minds want to know...

    So glad you had a great Bday and day after and hope you had a good week also.

    TTYS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home